Friday, July 10, 2009

Everything Austen Challenge: Movie Review: Pride and Prejudice, A Latter-day Comedy


This is a very funny modern take on Austen's Pride and Prejudice. The writer thought the Utah Mormon culture for singles would be a funny modern update to Austen's world. And I would definitely have to agree since I'm a Utah Mormon who happened to be single at one time! So the jokes and references, I think, are a bit more funny if you know something of the culture, but I still say it's universal enough to watch for those who don't.

The story follows 26-year-old Elizabeth Bennett who is attending BYU and trying to get her first book published. Her roommates are Jane who's Argentinian, beautiful, and her best friend. The others include Lydia (the landlord of the home) and her sister Kitty (who's not so bright) and finally Mary (very religious, socially awkward and not much of a dater).

They end up at a ward dance hosted by the Bingleys where we are introduced to Darcy, a very snobbish Brit who thinks all the girls at the party are vapid and boring.

It's a very fun and interesting twist on this beloved tale! The acting can be a bit cheesy and the editing is a bit rough in a few spots, but overall I enjoyed this modern remake and I really enjoyed the fun music as well!

1 comment:

It really makes my day when comments are left since I know who is stopping by and checking in and I feel so loved and you will be my best friend for life!