Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Everything Austen Challenge: Movie Review: Miss Austen Regrets

This movie was smartly written and greatly acted. Olivia Williams makes a great Jane Austen as well as Greta Scacchi as her sister Cassandra. These were definitely the positives.

They decided to focus on the what-ifs of Austen's life. We only know of one marriage proposal that she received from Biggs-Withers. But this movie throws in a few more from some eligible gentleman. They portray Austen as turning them down in order to be independent and focus on her work. It's an interesting concept, but I don't buy it. I really don't think she found anyone she wanted to marry. I think she would have married had she had an excellent man to marry. So while the film itself is well done, I just can't agree with the concept. I just don't believe Miss Austen regretted...

No comments:

Post a Comment

It really makes my day when comments are left since I know who is stopping by and checking in and I feel so loved and you will be my best friend for life!