Saturday, September 26, 2009

Movie Review: The Jane Austen Book Club

Jane Austen Book Club (2007): Based on the book by Karen Joy Fowler

Director: Robin Swicold

Genre: Drama, Romance

Tagline: You don't have to know the books to be in the club.

Summary:
Explores Austen's adage that general incivility is at love's essence. Sylvia's husband dumps her for another woman, so Bernadette and Jocelyn organize a book club to distract her. They recruit Sylvia's daughter Allegra; Prudie, a young teacher whose marriage may be on the rocks; and Grigg, a sci-fi fan who joins out of attraction to Jocelyn. The six read and discuss one Austen novel per month. Jocelyn tries to interest Grigg in Sylvia; Allegra falls in love with a woman she meets skydiving; Prudie contemplates an affair with a student; Sylvia's ex keeps popping up. In the discussions, characters reveal themselves in their comments. By the end, are truths universally acknowledged?
My review: I first watched this movie when it first came out and was undecided. It wasn't my favorite. But I decided to watch it again after hearing some glowing reviews from my fellow Austen Challengers. I'm really glad I did! I really enjoyed seeing how six completely different people could find a way to relate to all of Austen's books. I loved seeing their different perspectives on life and how they applied Austen into their own mini universes. I don't know if I completely agree with how Daniel and Sylvia turn out, but I still found all six characters interesting and romantic! I just love Kathy Baker, Amy Brenneman, and Hugh Dancy. So please check this one out if you love Austen and love a good romance!

Interesting Trivia: Each cast member was required to read the Austen book their character was reading in the movie!

Memorable Quotes:

Bernadette: All Jane Austen, all the time. It's the perfect antidote.
Prudie Drummond: To what?
Bernadette: To life.

Grigg Harris: What about me? Am I your friend? Or am I just some widget to help you make Sylvia feel better about herself? Why did you invite me to be part of your book club? What went through your mind the first time you saw me? "There's a man who is dying to read every book Jane Austen ever wrote." Is that what you thought?
Jocelyn: No.
Grigg Harris: But I thought, "What a beautiful woman. I hope she looks over at me." I thought if I read your favorite books that you would read mine. But, no, no, no, no... You just want to be obeyed. That's why you have dogs.

No comments:

Post a Comment

It really makes my day when comments are left since I know who is stopping by and checking in and I feel so loved and you will be my best friend for life!