Sunday, September 13, 2009

Sunday Samplings: Remembering 9/11

Friday marked the 8th anniversary of 9/11. I thought I would reflect on that horrible day, where I was, how I felt, its impact on my life.

I had just turned 21 and was a-waiting my entrance into the Missionary Training Center in Provo, UT to begin my mission for the LDS Church. I had only one week left and was spending my days packing, shopping, etc to prepare. I got up early that morning and turned on the Today Show. On the screen were images of the Twin Towers burning. What happened? What's going on? I couldn't believe it. I ran upstairs and got my parents out of bed. We all turned to the TV and just stared, we were so dumbfounded. All those lives lost, people missing, in danger. I just bawled. I was too young to be apart of any wars, except for the Gulf War, but I was seven and it never really hit home for me; 9/11 did. My country was attacked, my fellow citizens were dead and dying. My parents and I got down on our knees and prayed. Yes, tragedy does bring one closer to God or it can bring one down to the bitter depths. I chose faith.

Life is so short, I realized. I also came to vivid realization of war, at least in my own sphere of reality. My desire was to be more tolerant, more forgiving, more charitable, and to live my life better in general. We're all humans, we're all brothers and sisters in spirit. I know I don't live life like this all the time, but it's something I try to do each day. I hope we can remember the lives lost, the families torn apart, and the lessons learned from this tragic act of terrorism.

No comments:

Post a Comment

It really makes my day when comments are left since I know who is stopping by and checking in and I feel so loved and you will be my best friend for life!